Think of your website as a home. You want to maintain the investment and add equity so you remodel the bathroom, re-face the kitchen cabinets, landscape, and perform upgrades you know in the long run will increase the value of your home. This is called sweat equity, and a website needs similar attention.
Let’s start from the beginning with choosing the right domain name. Choose a domain name that is easy to remember. Your company’s name or the name of your main product. This is the foundation, and will be helpful when it comes to someone doing a search for your service or product.
The web designer should have optimized the site for search engines by writing clean source code, adding meta-tags, using significant keywords, optimal text and image placement so the search engine robots will be able to comb through the website effectively.
Here are several useful ideas that will help promote your website:
- Include your web address on all your printed material; business cards, letterhead, press releases and invoices. Also, include it in all your advertising.
- Provide your visitors with real advice and information, not just a company brochure.
- Share your skills in the form of articles with other websites that will link back to your website.
- Offer something free.
- Participate in discussion groups where you can assist other’s with your expertise and become known as a powerful resource for others. This keeps you visible to potential customers.
- Exchange reciprocal links with other sites that compliment your own. Visit linkpartners.com for more information.
- Start an email list of customers and periodically email them with preferred customer discounts.
- Include a signature tag in your business emails and create a link back to your website using the http so it’s clickable.
Advertise online. Here are a few places to start:
BizHwy is an online business directory developed to be easily indexed by the search engines to promote business listings for a specific city and state. Businesses can add their listing to the business directory for free, and further promote their business on BizHwy through affordable banner advertising.
First listing is free. You are even given the option to add one photo or image with your ad. Several categories to choose from.
Register and get a free listing.